Saturday, December 12, 2009

November 5, 2009

What I have learned from previous observations was to stop things before they happened. I decided to go early that day to setup up the classroom where the kids do their homework. The daily routine was for the kids to come to the class and help setup with tables and chairs. I asked the graduate assistant if I could try something different. I wanted to have the room setup so the kids could find there seat right away. I wanted to do this because I felt like the kids would get all riled up from setting everything up. I felt like it would add a little more structure to their routine. Much to my surprise it worked. The kids got right to work and settled in with their mentors.
I was now only mentoring one of the two kids. The child’s basketball season had started and was no longer coming to the program. I still had the child with Asperger’s. This was my first time being exposed to a child with Asperger’s. What’s interesting about him is his newly found obsession of the day. Everyday he has a new obsession. A lot of the times he obsesses on different ways of making other kids miserable. I don’t think that is his intention but he likes to tell me that he is devious. This is one of the reasons I had decided to come to class early to setup. I wanted to hide these blue two specific blue books. There are these blue books this one student likes to read if he has no homework. My kid likes to take those books away from him. The first day I saw this behavior, I made them play rock, paper, and scissors to see who gets the books. My kid ended up winning the game. He never once opened up the books. The same thing happened the next day but this time I let the other kid have the books. My kid would not stand for that and he tried to sneak over and steal the books the whole time he was there. Ever since I have hid the books he has not even brought them up.

No comments: